Monday, July 11, 2011

1st Talk

       A couple of weeks ago, Cole gave his very first Primary talk in church. He did fantastic! We were so impressed! It was one of those moments as a parent that you feel so very proud of your child & so very grateful to Heavenly Father, to know & see that what we are teaching him, is really sinking in.

       We practiced a few times during the week in preparation for the moment & when it came time, he went right up there, spoke loud & clear into the microphone, & looked out at the audience. He was not shy at all. He has an amazing memory, & while I was standing next to him whispering the lines we'd rehearsed just a few times, he was jumping ahead of me & even adding in his own phrasing or wording.

     He had the whole primary presidency very impressed & said he is like his daddy; very comfortable up there speaking. He touched the hearts of many of the adults in the room & we could definitely feel the presence of the Holy Ghost. The primary pianist came up to me after church & said, as she started to cry, "I felt the spirit so strongly during Coles talk that I began to cry & was crying so much I had to duck my head down behind the piano."

     I do not wish to share this to be "braggy" on our kid. Only to remember & share how true it is that at such a very young age, it is incredible that our children our capable of so much, can teach us so much & have such pure hearts to testify of the basic principles of Christ's church. Kids are still kids & will do crazy, silly, sometimes annoying things,  but they are often the ones who most sense the spirit quite easily & those things beyond this world.




Here is what Cole said :

     Every day at my house, I pray for & invite the Holy Ghost into my home w/ my family to help us & protect us.

   Sometimes when I’m scared at night, because I had a scary dream, I say a prayer to Heavenly Father, asking the Holy Ghost to help me feel safe & calm. And when I do that, right away, I feel safe & much better.

This is the picture we took that he shared in his talk.
Joplin, Mo.

    A few weekends ago, I went w/ my family to the city of Joplin where they had the big Tornado.
And I saw:  baby & Kids toys, houses broken, & trees ripped apart.

I said to my mom & dad – “We need to stop the car & have a prayer for these people."  (Cole truly said exactly this when we were in Joplin)

And after we did, "It felt like someone was hugging my heart!" (Previously during the week, while discussing the "Holy Ghost" during dinner, we asked Cole how he felt when he felt the Holy Ghost & the above is what he said) (When he said this during his talk, you could hear all the woman in the room go, "Ahhhhh", it was so sweet. And quite original; Jace & I had never heard it put that way before.)

   That was the Holy Ghost letting me know that Heavenly Father was happy w/ me making a good choice & that I was choosing the right.
     The Holy Ghost is a special friend to you & me. The Holy Ghost can bring feelings of warmth, love, peace, joy, & wanting to do good. When you feel the Holy Ghost with you, thank Heavenly Father for this blessing. The Holy Ghost is one of the greatest gifts Father in Heaven can give you.
Whenever I feel the Holy Ghost - “I feel like someone’s hugging my heart!”
In the name of Jesus Christ, amen!



3 comments:

Erica said...

After church on the Sunday that Cole gave his talk Mike was telling me about what a great job he did and how sweet it was. You definitely have such a sweet and special little boy.

Jonny and Brittany said...

That is so SUPER cute Karis!:)Hey I noticed you do not have a facebook so I don't have any way to write you! I was wondering if you remember the time we stayed in American Fork Utah with Paul King back YEARS ago for BYU week? I recently found a letter from him from FOREVER ago- but I thought he was a family friend of yours who had passed away.:( Is this the same guy I am thinking of by chance! Sorry for the random place to write you this!:)

Britt

Jessica said...

Beautiful. :)